Health care is among the nation’s fastest growing industries and offers a broad range of professional opportunities. In our Health Occupations/Health-Related Technology program, students explore medical science and its practical applications.
As they prepare to launch careers in health care or pursue postsecondary degrees, students master the following concepts and skills:
- Perform CPR with an AED and administer basic first aid, including to choking victims
- Measure and record patient height, weight, vital signs and blood glucose level
- Assist colleagues with patient physical exams; move, lift and position patient
- Assist patient with personal hygiene and grooming; make patient beds
- Prepare and serve patient meals; measure and record intake and output
Working in a high-tech program lab outfitted with seven nursing suites, a rehabilitation room and an operating room, students develop their bedside manner by practicing with medical mannequins and each other. Students also participate in clinical training and upperclassmen may secure co-op positions at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation, Lehigh Valley Health Network and HCR ManorCare facilities.
Medical terminology and in-depth study of the human body’s systems and diseases are central components of the program. Proper use of personal protective equipment, patient safety and infection control are emphasized, too.