March 9, 2018
Dear Parent/Guardian of a LCTI Student,
Over the past week, the Climate Committee — a group of LCTI students, instructors and administrators — has been meeting to discuss the students’ request to hold a voluntary walkout on Wednesday, March 14 as a way to honor the lives lost in the Parkland, Florida school shooting.
We are writing you today to make you are aware of students’ plans, which are intended to serve as a call to action among their peers that produces meaningful change. LCTI administrators and staff chose to work with students to provide a safe space for them to pay their respects to those who lost their lives in Florida. Below is an outline of what students planned for the Lehigh Career & Technical Institute Memorial Walkout on Wednesday.
- Students who plan to participate in the walkout are encouraged to wear red to represent Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and donate $1 for a fundraiser that will benefit MSD High School
- At approximately 9:20 a.m., designated peer representatives will use the public announcement system to request that students who wish to participate in the memorial walkout exit their career and technical education program lab or academic classroom and report to a predesignated wing, which will be staffed by teachers, guidance counselors and administrators.
- Upon arriving at their wing, students who donated $1 to the fundraiser will receive a red ribbon to represent Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
- Students who do not want to participate will remain in their classrooms under teacher supervision. Both groups of students — those who participate in the memorial and those who don’t — will be fully supported by LCTI staff.
- The silent processional will begin at approximately 9:30 a.m in the building’s A -wing and end at the CDL pad where students will deposit their red ribbons.
- Once at the CDL pad, students will form the number 17 and remain in place for 17 minutes of continued silence in memory of the 17 MSD High School students and staff members who lost their lives. An LCTI staff member will take an aerial photo of of the students in formation from the bucket of a firetruck from Neff’s Fire Company. Drones from Lehigh County Emergency Management will also record the even. Portraits of the victims created by LCTI’s Painting & Decorating program will be displayed during the memorial.
- Students and staff will promote the event through social media, LCTI announcements, flyers and handouts. In addition, the memorial has been registered online at actionnetwork.org.
Of utmost importance is maintaining a safe environment for students to express their thoughts and concerns. Our students will exit from their classes and participate in a student-designed memorial walkout. Students are being raised during an era with unprecedented levels of school violence and we support their efforts to advocate for themselves.
We want to stress that participation is voluntary and that the staff will support all students in every capacity should they decide to be part of the procession or remain in class. Upon conclusion of the memorial, students will return to the regularly scheduled day.
If you have questions or comments about the endeavor outlined above, please call 610-799-1348.
Director of Career & Technical Education
Media Contact: Precious Petty, Public Relations Coordinator, 610-799-1450, firstname.lastname@example.org