Computers are an integral part of today’s workplace, so an in-depth understanding of computer technologies is an invaluable skill set. In our Computer & Networking Technology course, students learn how an affinity for computers can lead to a lucrative career in information technology. As they learn to tackle a variety of technical support tasks with confidence, students are introduced to the following hardware, software, concepts and skills:
- CPU, expansion cards, HDD, motherboard, peripheral devices, power supply, RAM, etc.
- Operating systems, including Windows, iOS, Android, Apple OS X and Linux
- Wired and wireless networking, desktop imaging, virtualization and cloud computing
- Recognizing, reporting and tracking security breaches
Hands-on training includes installing, configuring and maintaining PCs, mobile devices and software, as well as selecting and assembling the components of a custom configuration. Students also practice designing, building and managing computer networks.
Properly diagnosing, resolving and documenting common hardware or software issues are important elements of the course, too. By tackling assignments that mimic real-life situations, students develop the problem-solving skills necessary to troubleshoot everything from a malfunctioning tablet to a spotty wireless network. Plus, they learn to work in teams, communicate clearly and interact with customers.
Course length: 9 months
Next start date(s): August 29, 2022
Tentative schedule: 8:15 am – 2:45 pm, M-F
Credentials & college credit
Students who complete our course earn the following industry-recognized credentials:
- CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+ and Server+ Certifications
- Cisco CCENT and CCNA Certifications
- Pennsylvania Skills Certificate via NOCTI®
Students who complete our course are well positioned to earn associate degrees at the following school(s):
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Lincoln Technical Institute
with credentials earned at LCTI:
- Customer support specialist
- Field service technician
- Help desk analyst
with credentials + experience:
- Computer repair technician
- IT sales specialist
- Network support specialist
with more postsecondary training or college degree:
- Computer systems analyst
- IT project manager
- Network administrator
Learn more about potential career pathways.