Any classically trained chef will tell you that the best meals begin with good stock. Our Culinary Arts course is the perfect stock for students looking to cook up rewarding careers in the hospitality industry. While staffing LCTI’s restaurant and cafeterias, they’ll master the following skills:
- Prepare proteins, fruits and vegetables, cereals and grains, beverages, etc.
- Develop and execute menus for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, receptions, etc.
- Use and maintain industry-standard kitchen equipment, such as ranges, ovens, slicers, mixers, etc.
- Price menu items based on production cost calculations; manage inventory
- Maintain sanitary and safe food production facilities in keeping with government requirements
Working as an instructor-led team, students sharpen their culinary skills by catering buffets and multiple-course meals in The Restaurant at LCTI, which seats 80. They also prepare dishes served daily in the school’s two student cafeterias, as well as take-home meals sold during fundraisers.
Students polish their customer service skills by acting as hosts, servers, bussers and cashiers in the restaurant, which routinely hosts special events and is open to the public on select days. Nutrition, food allergies and culinary sustainability are important elements of the course, too.
Our Culinary Arts course is accredited by the following organization:
Course length: 9 months
Next start date(s): August 29, 2022
Tentative schedule: 8:15 am – 2:45 pm, M-F
Credentials & college credit
Students who complete our course earn the following industry-recognized credentials:
- Certified Junior Culinarian via American Culinary Federation
- ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification
- S/P2 Culinary Certificate
- First Aid Certification via American Red Cross
- Pennsylvania Skills Certificate via NOCTI®
Students who complete our course are well positioned to earn associate degrees at the following school(s):
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Johnson & Wales University
- The Culinary Institute of America
with credentials earned at LCTI:
- Food Batchmaker
- Line Cook
- Prep Cook
with credentials + experience or associate degree:
- Executive Chef
- Food Science Technician
with more postsecondary training or college degree:
- Food Scientist
- Registered Dietician
Learn more about potential career pathways.