Televisions, laptops, cellphones — electronics technology is all around us. In our Electronics Technology / Nanofabrication course, students learn about the inner workings of high-tech devices we rely on every day.
As they design and assemble FM radios, digital thermometers, alarm systems and more, students are introduced to the following skills:
- Using multimeters, function generators, frequency counters, ohmmeters and oscilloscopes
- Soldering, desoldering, through-hole soldering and surface-mount soldering
- Building series, parallel and series-parallel circuits with direct and alternating currents
Instruction begins with Ohm’s Law, Watt’s Law, Kirchoff’s laws and other fundamentals before advancing to topics like transistors, diodes, integrated circuits and other elements of semiconductor theory. Students apply these concepts during hands-on training that includes designing simple circuits, assembling circuits based on schematic diagrams, testing and troubleshooting circuits and replacing defective electronic components.
Nanotechnology is also part of the curriculum, so the course lab is equipped with an industry-standard clean room where students make solar cells and more.
Course length: 9 months
Next start date(s): Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2021
Tentative schedule: 8:15 am – 2:45 pm, M-F
Credentials & college credit
Students who complete our course earn the following industry-recognized credentials:
- AMIST Level 1 Certification via Industrial Maintenance Training Center of Pa.
- OSHA Certification via CareerSafe®
- Pennsylvania Skills Certificate via NOCTI®
Students who complete our course are well positioned to continue their education at the following school(s):
- Lincoln Technical Institute
with credentials earned at LCTI:
- Cellular Tower Assembler/Technician
- Electronics Assembly Technician
- Electronics Service Technician
with associate degree/experience:
- Cleanroom Fabrication Technician
- Engineering Technician
- Fiber Optic Specialist
with bachelor’s degree:
- Broadcast Engineer
- Electrical/Electronics Engineer
- Industrial Systems Technologist
Learn more about potential career pathways.