No matter the weather, heating and cooling systems keep homes, offices and schools at the optimal temperature. Students learn how HVACR technicians install, maintain and repair these complex and increasingly high-tech systems in our Heating/Air Conditioning & Refrigeration course.
As they explore a career field with an employment growth rate that’s three times the national average, students are introduced to the following skills:
- Cut and assemble various piping materials, including ACR copper tubing, CSST and PVC pipe
- Wire series, parallel and series-parallel circuits; install electric disconnects, circuit breakers and fuses
- Install and service a variety of cooling, heating and refrigeration systems, as well as their components
- Fabricate air ducts; evaluate ventilation systems’ performance by measuring air velocity, volume, etc.
Instruction begins with job-site safety, tool use, blueprint reading and other fundamentals before moving to advanced tasks like gas furnace maintenance, refrigerant recovery and heat pump installation. Working in a course lab equipped with appliances made by Carrier, Goodman, Honeywell, Trane and other industry-recognized manufacturers, students collaborate to complete projects that mirror on-the-job tasks.
Beginners, for example, wire thermostats, add ductwork to an existing ventilation system and install condensate, gas and refrigerant lines. Advanced students, meanwhile, build a sealed HVAC system, troubleshoot an ice machine and install a geothermal unit.
Our Heating/Air Conditioning & Refrigeration course is accredited by the following organization:
NCCER (National Center for Construction Education and Research)
Course length: 9 months
Next start date(s): Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2021
Tentative schedule: 8:15 am – 2:45 pm, M-F
Credentials & college credit
Students who complete our course earn the following industry-recognized credentials:
- Various NCCER® certifications
- Various Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Institute certifications
- OSHA Certification via CareerSafe®
Students who complete our course are well positioned to earn associate degrees at the following school(s):
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
with credentials earned at LCTI:
- Geothermal Technician
- HVAC Technician
- Refrigeration Technician
- Parts Salesperson
with credentials + experience:
- Controls Specialist
- Parts Sales Manager
with more postsecondary training or college degree:
- Construction Manager
- Mechanical Engineer
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
Learn more about potential career pathways.