Some of the world’s most famous structures — the Colosseum, the Egyptian pyramids and the Taj Mahal, to name a few — were built by masons. In our Masonry course, students explore the age-old trade while learning how today’s masons build modern masterpieces.
As they grow familiar with the tools and diverse materials of the trade, students master the following skills:
- Build solid masonry and veneer walls; install openings for windows and doors, plus flashing
- Build various brick features, including arches, chimneys, columns, corbels and fireplaces
- Prepare and form for concrete; place, reinforce and finish concrete; patch old concrete work
- Lay brick pavers in basketweave and herringbone patterns; lay interlocking concrete pavers
- Build with or install ceramic tile, glass block, stone, stone veneer and other masonry materials
Instruction begins with cutting bricks and blocks, mixing mortar, laying courses with a variety of brick bonds and other fundamentals before advancing to activities like stonework and tilework. Practicing job-site safety, constructing scaffolds, cleaning brickwork, reading blueprints and working up material and labor estimates are important elements of the course, too.
Students develop their skills through hands-on training in a course lab outfitted with laser levels, mortar mixers, masonry saws and other industry-standard equipment. They often team up with peers in LCTI’s carpentry course to work on projects for community schools and nonprofit organizations.
Course length: 9 months
Next start date(s): August 29, 2022
Tentative schedule: 8:15 am – 2:45 pm, M-F
Credentials & college credit
Students who complete our course earn the following industry-recognized credentials:
- OSHA Certification via CareerSafe®
- Pennsylvania Builders Association® Skills Certificate
- Pennsylvania Skills Certificate via NOCTI®
Students who complete our course are well positioned to earn associate degrees at the following school(s):
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
with credentials earned at LCTI:
- Bricklayer’s Apprentice
- Hardscape Installer
- Mason Tender
- Masonry Restoration Apprentice
with credentials + experience:
- Building Inspector
- Masonry Foreman
- Stone Mason
- Tile Setter
with more postsecondary training or college degree:
- Civil Engineer
- Structural Engineer
Learn more about potential career pathways.