Business cards, catalogs, custom t-shirts — all of these everyday items are products of the graphic communications industry. In our Print Technology/Graphic Imaging program, students explore this multifaceted industry as they learn about graphic design, print production and more. While working in teams to movie projects from inception to fulfillment, students are introduced to the following concepts and skills:
- Color theory, typography, layout, design process and their multimedia applications
- Designing with Adobe® applications, including Photoshop®, Illustrator® and InDesign®
- Operating a five-color offset press, a two-color offset press, a folder, a cutter, a booklet maker, etc.
- Operating a platesetter, a digital press powered by Fiery® software, a poster printer, etc.
The program lab doubles as a full-service print shop outfitted with top-of-the-line equipment manufactured by C.P. Bourg, GBC, Heidelberg, HP, Konica Minolta, Microtek, Ryobi and other industry-preferred brands. Students hone their skills by churning out everything from letterhead and envelopes to calendars and posters for Lehigh County schools, governments and nonprofit organizations.
Students also produce keychains, mugs, T-shirts and more as they explore 3D printing, dye sublimation, foil stamping, screen printing, vinyl cutting and other print processes. Inventory control, production costs, quality control and workplace safety are important elements of the program, too.
Our Print Technology / Graphic Imaging program is accredited by the following organization:
Course length: 9 months
Next start date(s): Fall 2024 dates TBD
Tentative schedule: 8:15 am – 2:45 pm, M-F
Credentials & college credit
Students who complete our course earn the following industry-recognized credentials:
- PrintED®/SkillsUSA Student Certification
- Adobe Certified Associate via Certiport®
- OSHA Certification via CareerSafe®
- Pennsylvania Skills Certificate via NOCTI®
Students who complete our course are well-positioned to earn associate degrees at the following school(s):
The following schools have articulation agreements with LCTI that allow Commercial Baking students to earn college credit for work they complete in high school:
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
with credentials earned at LCTI:
- Bindery operator
- Production associate
- Screen printer
with an associate degree:
- Desktop publisher
- Graphic designer
- Printing press operator
with a bachelor’s degree:
- Digital Design Specialist
- Multimedia designer
Learn more about potential career pathways.