Create delectable cakes, pies and pastries using modern equipment in a commercial kitchen
Master advanced techniques in cake design; prepare custards, meringues, mousses and more
Manage The Bake Shoppe at LCTI and whip up custom confections for customers
RSVP for Open House
Weddings, baby showers, birthdays — no matter the occasion, sweet treats make them special. In our Commercial Baking program, students learn how to create custom confections that are always in high demand. As they explore the business of baking, students are introduced to the following concepts and skills:
- Prepare cookies, breads, doughnuts, cakes, pies, custards, mousses, souffles, syrups, creams, sauces, etc.
- Develop and execute menus for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, receptions, etc.
- Use and maintain industry-standard kitchen equipment, such as ovens, mixers, doughnut fryers, etc.
- Price baked goods based on production cost calculations; manage inventory
- Maintain sanitary and safe food production facilities in keeping with government requirements
Students hone their skills by baking goods sold daily in The Bake Shoppe at LCTI or catering school events. Preparing goods like holiday cookies and fastnachts for themed bake sales is routine. With guidance from their instructor, students also tackle birthday cakes, wedding cakes and other orders from the public.
Once students master the fundamentals, they take on more advanced tasks, such as cake decorating with royal icing, rolled fondant, gum paste, air brush designs and more. Nutrition, food allergies and culinary sustainability are important elements of the program, too.
Our Commercial Baking program is accredited by the following organization: