Create modern masterpieces inspired by the world-famous Colosseum, Egyptian pyramids and Taj Mahal
Build with a variety of masonry materials, including brick, concrete, stone and tile
Design chimneys, fireplaces, patios, walkways and other structures
RSVP for Open House
Some of the world’s most famous structures — the Colosseum, the Egyptian pyramids and the Taj Mahal, to name a few — were built by masons. In our Masonry program, students explore the age-old trade while learning how today’s masons build modern masterpieces. As they grow familiar with the tools and diverse materials of the trade, students master the following skills:
- Build solid masonry and veneer walls; install openings for windows and doors, plus flashing
- Build various brick features, including arches, chimneys, columns, corbels and fireplaces
- Prepare and form for concrete; place, reinforce and finish concrete; patch old concrete work
- Lay brick pavers in basketweave and herringbone patterns; lay interlocking concrete pavers
- Build with or install ceramic tile, glass block, stone, stone veneer and other masonry materials
Instruction begins with cutting bricks and blocks, mixing mortar, laying courses with a variety of brick bonds and other fundamentals before advancing to activities like stonework and tilework. Practicing job-site safety, constructing scaffolds, cleaning brickwork, reading blueprints and working up material and labor estimates are important elements of the program, too.
Students develop their skills through hands-on training in a program lab outfitted with laser levels, mortar mixers, masonry saws and other industry-standard equipment. They often team up with peers in LCTI’s carpentry programs to work on projects for community schools and nonprofit organizations. In addition, upperclassmen are urged to line up internship or co-op positions with local contractors.
Our Masonry program is endorsed by the following organization: