Join us Nov. 10-12 for a Virtual Open House. Prospective students and their parents can participate in live video chats with teachers from the programs that interest them. The first 500 registrants get a free T-shirt!
With a median annual salary of $52,590 and skyrocketing demand, plumbers, pipefitters and steamfitters are among the highest paid and most sought after professionals in the construction trades.
Students in our Plumbing & Heating program master the following skills as they prepare to launch careers in this lucrative field:
- Read and interpret blueprints, pipe system sketches and plumbing specifications
- Measure, cut and join a variety of metallic pipe/tubing, including copper, steel and cast iron
- Measure, cut and assemble a variety of plastic pipe/tubing, including PVC, CPVC, PEX, PE and HDPE
- Rough in water supply lines, waste lines and vents for various fixtures and appliances
- Install and repair various fixtures and appliances
Instruction begins with job site safety, power tool use and other fundamentals, but quickly advances to soldering, brazing, threading and pressing pipe/tubing. Working in a program lab outfitted with custom-made trainers and industry standard equipment from RIGID, Uponor, Viega and other manufacturers, students hone their skills by completing assignments that mimic real-life residential, commercial and industrial plumbing challenges.
First- and second-year students team up to tackle an industrial piping project, for example, while third- and fourth-year students focus on designing and installing bathrooms. Job shadows, internships and cooperative education are integral to the program; upperclassmen routinely secure positions with Deluxe Plumbing & Heating, Elek Plumbing, H.T. Lyons and Schuler Service among other local employers.
Our Plumbing & Heating program is endorsed by the following organization: