Any classically trained chef will tell you that the best meals begin with good stock. Our Culinary Arts program is the perfect stock for students looking to cook up rewarding careers in the hospitality industry.
While staffing LCTI’s restaurant and cafeterias, they’ll master the following skills:
- Prepare proteins, fruits and vegetables, cereals and grains, beverages, etc.
- Develop and execute menus for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, receptions, etc.
- Use and maintain industry-standard kitchen equipment, such as ranges, ovens, slicers, mixers, etc.
- Price menu items based on production cost calculations; manage inventory
- Maintain sanitary and safe food production facilities in keeping with government requirements
Working as an instructor-led team, students sharpen their culinary skills by catering buffets and multiple-course meals in The Restaurant at LCTI, which seats 80. They also prepare dishes served daily in the school’s two student cafeterias, as well as take-home meals sold during fundraisers.
Students polish their customer service skills by acting as hosts, servers, bussers and cashiers in the restaurant, which routinely hosts special events and is open to the public on select days. Nutrition, food allergies and culinary sustainability are important elements of the program, too.