Lead fun, educational activities for preschool kids in an on-site child care center
Prepare a portfolio of sample curriculum and lesson plans for K-12 learners
Monitor and enhance a child’s intellectual, social, emotional and physical development
RSVP for Open House
Teachers shape the future one child at a time. In our Teacher Education program, students study how teachers create and manage healthy learning environments for pre-K and K-12 children. As they explore a variety of careers in education, students practice the following skills:
- Developing then delivering curricula and lesson plans
- Supervising children and using positive reinforcement to guide their behavior
- Communicating with parents about children’s activities, interests and progress
- Planning and preparing nutritious, age-appropriate meals and snacks
- Performing infant and child CPR, as well as providing pediatric first aid
- Implementing infection control and illness prevention policies by sanitizing toys, etc.
After studying the developmental characteristics of children at various ages, students team up to draft daily lesson plans based on short- and long-term curriculum goals. Under the supervision of staff, they present their lessons to preschool students at LCTI’s on-site child care center, World of Imagination. Lesson activities may range from story time and sing-alongs to puppet shows and science experiments.
Students learn how to observe, record and analyze children’s behavior, a habit that can help educators improve the effectiveness of their lessons, for example, or identify developmental problems. Passing a physical, obtaining federal and state clearances for working with children and securing letters of recommendation are required for the program.